Fake council website taken down as merger hostilities intensify

Posted January 20th, 2019 by admin and filed in 南京夜网
Comments Off on Fake council website taken down as merger hostilities intensify

North Shore Council does not exist.
Nanjing Night Net

But for almost a year, a website for the fake council had been informing residents of Hornsby and Ku-ring-gai their local councils had been abolished and replaced with the new super council.

In a bizarre twist, the fake council – North Shore Council – was cooked up by the communications department of Hornsby Shire council, and unleashed upon the internet even though no such merger had yet taken place between the two councils.

By Monday morning, the website had been taken down, leaving Hornsby Shire council red-faced and claiming it was unaware the site was live until it received media inquiries that morning.

“The website was not meant to be public. That was a simple mistake which has now been rectified,” a council spokesman said.

The domain, northshorecouncil南京夜网, was registered by Hornsby Shire Council last year, shortly after the NSW government announced in May their intention to amalgamate Hornsby and Ku-ring-gai councils.

The new council’s name, a decision which ultimately resides with the NSW government, was “simply a guess” by Hornsby Shire’s PR department.

“Hornsby Council has no information that North Shore Council will be the name of the new merged council,” the spokesman said.

“This was simply a guess by our communications team so that a domain name could be registered and work commenced on drafting a site.”

The website remained live, declaring the existence of the new council even as Ku-ring-gai council launched legal action to fight the forced merger last year, indefinitely prolonging the creation of a new merged entity.

It is understood that neither the mayor nor the executive of Hornsby Shire council were aware of the existence of the website until Monday morning.

However, the issue has intensified hostilities between the two councils, which have fermented around Ku-ring-gai’s vehement opposition to the merger and Hornsby’s support for the amalgamation to occur as quickly as possible.

Ku-ring-gai council confirmed on Monday it was not consulted about the website, and was only made aware of its existence after receiving inquiries from confused residents as to whether the merger had already occurred.

“This action by Hornsby council is another appalling example of the arrogance with which they have approached the merger issue all along,” Ku-ring-gai mayor Jennifer Anderson said.

“To make this website live shows a level of disdain for Ku-ring-gai and does not bode well for any future merger.”

Cr Anderson she had lodged a formal complaint with Premier Gladys Berejiklian over the issue, and said council lawyers would examine whether it had potentially prejudiced the council’s Supreme Court of Appeal case.

But Hornsby Shire defended the move as “just one example of the preparations” the council was undertaking to prepare for the merger.

“If the merger goes ahead, we want to be in a position to deliver the full level of service to ratepayers from day one. This includes keeping everybody fully informed,” the spokesman said.

The website debacle is the latest example of bad blood between the two councils, foreshadowing the potential difficulties which will confront a newly merged entity.

Earlier this year, Hornsby Shire mayor Steve Russell accused Ku-ring-gai councillors of “clinging to the selfish fiefdoms they’ve carved out using ratepayers’ money” by resisting the merger.

It prompted a stern response from Cr Anderson, who maintained ratepayers were opposed to “propping up Hornsby” with Ku-ring-gai’s assets.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Knights utility Dylan Phythian is facing a second reconstruction of the same knee

Posted January 20th, 2019 by admin and filed in 南京夜网
Comments Off on Knights utility Dylan Phythian is facing a second reconstruction of the same knee

IF Knights fullback Dylan Phythian looked distressed as he was helped from the field at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday, it was not just because of the pain in his left knee.
Nanjing Night Net

SHATTERED: Dylan Phythian is helped from the field on Sunday by Newcastle’s medical staff. Picture: Getty Images

He was also suffering an unwelcome sense of deja vu.

Two years ago, playing in the NSW Cup, the Belmont-born utility back tore the anterior-cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury that left him facing six months of rehabilitation and recovery.

Thehealing process was delayedwhen he developed a blood clot.

Now it appears he has sustained basically the same injury to the same knee, after catching a bomb in Sunday’s 26-22 loss to the Warriors and immediately collapsing.

Newcastle’s medical staff believe he has again ruptured his ACL, although they are waiting for the results of scans to confirm the extent of the damage.

It is a cruel blow for the 21-year-old, who appeared in two NRL games last year and trained so well in the pre-season he secured first shot at Newcastle’s fullback vacancy. If his worst fears are realised, he will be unlikely to play again this season.

And by the time he has recovered, star signing Kayln Ponga will have arrived in Newcastle, where the teenage dynamois almost guaranteed the No.1 jersey.

Knights forward Mitch Barnett said Phythian was “really positive’’, considering a situation that would have many others wallowing in self-pity.

“He’s obviously shattered,’’ Barnett said. “It’s a big blow. We’re all here for him, though.

“He’s still walking around with a bit of a smile on his face.

“He’s up in Sydney now seeing a specialist and getting scans.’’

Phythian’s expected absence from Saturday’s clash with Gold Coast at McDonald Jones Stadium leavesKnights coach Nathan Brown pondering his fifth fullback since the start of last season.

Jaelen Feeney, Dane Gagai and Jake Mamo rotatedas custodian in 2016.

Peter Mata’utia switched from centres to replace Phythian against the Warriors, and would appear the likely long-term candidate.

That would open a spot at left-side centre, which could possibly be filled by Brendan Elliot or Cory Denniss.

Denniss scored two tries against the Warriors in NSW Cup, while Elliot was standby player for first grade.

Brown’s other option would be to shuffle Sione Mata’utia from back row to centre, as he did on Sunday.

English import Joe Wardle did not play in round one, as he is still building fitness after knee surgery last year. He is expected to be available between round three and round five.

Gordon Wood’s barrister issues apology to former DPP Nicholas Cowdery

Posted January 20th, 2019 by admin and filed in 南京夜网
Comments Off on Gordon Wood’s barrister issues apology to former DPP Nicholas Cowdery

???Gordon Wood’s barrister has publicly apologised to former NSW Director of Public Prosecutions Nicholas Cowdery, QC, withdrawing serious allegations of misconduct.
Nanjing Night Net

Mr Wood, who was acquitted of the murder of his girlfriend Caroline Byrne by throwing her off a cliff, is suing the state of NSW for malicious prosecution, and his statement of claim originally accused Mr Cowdery of “misfeasance in public office”.

The document before the NSW Supreme Court claimed Mr Cowdery had “acted in bad faith in carrying out his duties in connection with the prosecution of [Mr Wood] and for the dominant purpose of harming the plaintiff”.

But, on Tuesday afternoon, Bruce McClintock, SC, withdrew those allegations.

“I wish further to apologise to Mr Cowdery,” Mr McClintock said.

Justice Elizabeth Fullerton said: “It’s a grave allegation to make in a pleading filed. Mr Cowdery … is a person who gave high public service to this state over many years.

“It was entirely unwarranted, as I see it, that he be named in this litigation at all.”

Mr Wood was found guilty of murdering Ms Byrne by throwing her off a cliff at The Gap, in Watsons Bay, during a high-profile trial in 2008, but was acquitted by the Court of Criminal Appeal in 2012.

Mr McClintock told the court the police investigation and the prosecution against Mr Wood were “flawed”, driven by malice and conducted under intense political and media pressure.

Peter Neil, SC, for NSW, opened his case, and said the police investigation was “thorough, professional and competent”.

“It was completely devoid of malice or ill will towards the plaintiff and the police were not out to get him,” Mr Neil said.

Mr Neil said the Crown prosecutor at Mr Wood’s trial, Mark Tedeschi, QC, was highly experienced and ran a fair case.

“He always had a genuine, conscientious belief based upon his professional judgment that there was a proper case to be brought.”

Associate Professor Rod Cross, a physicist who testified that Ms Byrne must have been thrown, and who was heavily criticised by the appeals court, was well regarded in his field, Mr Neil said.

“He conducted experiments, he got results, … as far as he is concerned the results were correct and that allowed him to form certain opinions,” Mr Neil said.

“Both the police and prosecution service, in particular Mr Tedeschi???, were entitled to put the evidence before a jury and did so on a proper basis.”

Mr Neil said the police were not negligent in failing to take photographs of Ms Byrne’s body at The Gap, as alleged.

“The police knew this much: the vast majority of people who do leave The Gap do so voluntarily. Their loved ones … are avid for information.

“Police did not consider photos of very badly broken people on the rocks to be necessary.”

The hearing continues.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Complaint about Bakers Delight ad for mini finger buns with M&Ms upheld

Posted January 20th, 2019 by admin and filed in 南京夜网
Comments Off on Complaint about Bakers Delight ad for mini finger buns with M&Ms upheld

A complaint that a Bakers Delight billboard was “advertising lollies on bread for school lunches” has been upheld by the Advertising Standards Board.
Nanjing Night Net

The advertisement, which was displayed on signs in shopping centres, depicted three Bakers Delight products beneath the wording: “School lunches? Problem solved.”

Another version in the ad series highlighted that the product was for a “limited time only,” along side the message:”Go on. Make their Day!”

A cheese and Vegemite scroll, a cheese and bacon roll and a four-pack of mini finger buns covered in chocolate M&Ms featured on one of the signs, with the latter forming the focus of the complaint.

“Advertising of lollies on bread for school lunches is appalling. Lunch and healthy food choices is challenging enough for most families and to have this as an acceptable choice is unfathomable,” the complainant said.

“Bakers Delight is specifically targeting children to include M&M finger buns as a day-to-day lunch box item. Such products, should rarely (or preferably never) be eaten by children, let alone promoted and ‘normalised’ as an everyday food …”

The complainant argued that amid Australia’s “obesity crisis,” it seemed “incredibly irresponsible and unethical to market such products to children and their carers”.

The Advertising Standards Board ultimately found the ad series undermined the promotion of healthy balanced diets through “the combination of images and text” and that it did breach a section of the AANA Food Code.

“The reader may interpret the advertisement as being a suggestion of some items to go in the lunch box, however … the text ‘your lunch box solution’ strongly suggests this is all you could have (a scroll and a finger bun),” the judgment said.

The board referred to a similaradvertisement forKellogg LCM Golden Joys, in whichtheitem was in a lunch box alongside “a piece of fruit and a sandwich”, making it clear the sweet itemwas to be a small component of the total lunch.

Elements of the Bakers Delight sign, such as the brightly coloured M&Ms and brightly coloured pencils, were found to be appealing to children, but the board found the overall content was just as likely to appeal to carers and parents.

Therefore it said the advertising Children’s Codedid not apply, as the advertisement was not directed primarily to children.

In response to the finding, Bakers Delight said it was “surprised” and “disappointed in [itself]” that the ad had come to the attention of the board, but acknowledged it would not continue the campaign.

“Specifically, the campaign was designed to only be a special treat for a child; although purchased by a parent, who would make the buying decision,” Bakers Delight said.

“At no point was the finger bun product implied or otherwise as being a lunch replacement for a child. The campaign was a limited-time promotion with a limited quantity product …”

Bakers Delight general managerGerry Gerrard said he was disappointed that the brand had come before the board for the first time in 37 years.

“The product isactually half the length of ourregularfinger buns … a treat for children to put in their lunch. It was never neverintended or implied this would become a lunchsubstitute.”

Mr Gerrard said the company had received two complaints amid the 1 million customers it serves every day, but they were two more than he needed.

“Now we have a protocol, any [advertising] we do for children’s products we will come to the Advertising Standards Board first … we live and learn.”

‘We didn’t talk to any children’: Panel reviewing abuse in detention

Posted January 20th, 2019 by admin and filed in 南京夜网
Comments Off on ‘We didn’t talk to any children’: Panel reviewing abuse in detention

An independent expert panel contracted by the Federal government to examine allegations of abuse, neglect and exploitation in immigration detention failed to interview any victims, a royal commission has heard.
Nanjing Night Net

The three member Child Protection Panel was convened in 2015 in the wake of two inquiries which raised serious allegations about abuse in detention in Australia and offshore.

Panellist Margaret Allisontold the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse none of the members had recent experience in interviewing children.

“We didn’t talk to any children, except incidentally, as we walked through detention centres,” said the former senior bureaucrat in Queensland’s child protection department.

Ms Allison, former chief executive of the Australian Crime Commission John Lawler??? and former senior Commonwealth public servant Dominic Downie were charged with analysing 214 of the “most serious” alleged incidents involving children in detention between 2008 and 2015.

Ms Allison told the commission the panel was concerned interviewing children might re-traumatise them.

“Some of those incidents would be a long time ago for children and I doubt that some of them would have recollection of things that would have happened when they were very young,” she said.

“For those who did have a memory of things that might have happened to them we were concerned about adding further trauma.

“Also, given the volume of our work, it was fairly clear . . . it would need to be, by and large, a desktop review.”

The panel examined alleged incidents of sexual and physical abuse, neglect and exploitation involving children. The commission heard sexual abuse was involved in about one-quarter of cases in detention centres in Australia and about one-third of cases in community detention and in the regional processing centre in Nauru however Ms Allison said the figures needed to be treated with caution.

“Probably the community detention one was the most concerning,” she said.

“There were matters involving actual sexual assault, grooming and high risk of sexual assault.”

Ms Allison told the commission organisations contracted by the Federal government to support asylum seekers in the community were inadequate.

“The existing service infrastructure for community detention was struggling a bit to deal with the challenges of providing services to children and families,” she said.

The Child Protection Panel finished its report last May but it was not released until December 16 with immigration boss Michael Pezzullo??? telling the commission that its release was delayed while a safeguarding framework was determined.

There are about 240 children in immigration detention in Australia, with the majority in community detention. On Nauru, there are 45 children in the regional processing centre and 130 living in the community on protection visas.

Mr Pezzullo told the commission ensuring the protection of children was one of his “highest priorities”.

The royal commission is holding a four-day hearing into child sexual abuse involving government institutions, including the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, the Australian Defence Force as well as state and territory justice and community services departments.

Australian Defence Force vice chief Raymond Griggs told the hearing the cadet organisation had been reformed in the wake of testimony about sex abuse presented at the commission last year.

The hearing, before Justice Peter McClellan, continues.

Blue Knot Helpline 1300 657 380 Care Leavers Australia Network 1800 008 774 Survivors & Mates Support Network 1800 472 676

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.